Sunday 25 March 2007

Chicken & Cherry Cake

I love roast chicken, don't you? So our Sunday roast today was, as it often is, a roast chicken. No hubby to cook the roast potatoes, unfortunately, as his shift at work is too late and long to accomodate a family meal today. So I did baked potatoes, with some bread sauce to dollop on top of them, and some vegetables that Christopher chose when we went shopping the other day.


I roast my chicken at 200°c, with a peeled and quartered onion tucked inside. Drizzle a tiny amount of olive oil over the breast , grind black pepper over, then give it 20 minutes per 500g + 30 minutes. I usually round down the weight of the bird to the nearest 500g and tent it with foil for all but the last 30-40 minutes of cooking time.





We followed the meal with a slice of the Cherry & Almond loaf I baked this afternoon. I used a recipe from a delicious. magazine cutting from ages ago, but baked it in two 1lb loaf tins instead of a single 2lb tin. I prefer to do this with most cakes if possible, so that I can freeze one for another time. It's always useful to have a cake or two in the freezer 'just in case', plus it means less cake hanging about the place for me to eat. I also left the specified diced marzipan out of the recipe. Not because I don't like it, but rather because I really do; so much that I generally don't keep it in the house, lest I should eat that, too.



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails