Friday 4 May 2007

Home to Mum

I've been feeling rather poorly for a few days, probably over-tired more than anything, but still pretty under the weather. However, the prospect of taking the boys away to visit my parents for a few days cheered me up a bit and so here we are. No Hubby with us, unfortunately, as he has to work over the bank holiday (of course), but we're used to that by now.

We managed to see my brother for a little while yesterday, but won't see him again until Monday as he and his girlfriend are off to Cornwall for the weekend. Can't say I fancy the traffic, which was already pretty bad when I was on the M4 this afternoon (thankfully on the other carriageway), but I do fancy the dinner that they are having at Rick Stein's Seafood Restaurant in Padstow on Saturday night. I will be 'extracting' a full report at the earliest opportunity, not that I anticipate any great reticence on their part.

We had my Mum's fabulous chicken casserole for dinner last night. Mum thickens the juices with cornflour before serving, but, even though I make this at home quite often, I still cannot make it work (it just goes lumpy). I don't bother trying anymore, it still tastes good.

Mum's Chicken Casserole

Chicken Pieces, on the bone (legs are best)
Bacon, chopped
Mushrooms, sliced
Dried Mixed Herbs
Chicken Stock

Heat a little bit of oil in a large casserole. Cook the bacon and mushrooms just a little, then add the chicken pieces and just cover with hot stock, stirring in a good pinch of mixed herbs. Cook at 180-200°c for about an hour and a half. I usually do some baked potatoes in the oven alongside it. Serve with the baked potatoes and some green vegetables. I like nothing more than some simple steamed or boiled Savoy cabbage here, to soak up the all the gorgeous gravy, but Karl and Christopher really like peas with it, so we usually have both.

James had some puréed Chicken and Spring vegetables that I'd brought with me, left over from our family dinner on Wednesday night. It's a recipe I got from BBC Good Food Magazine, and it's available on the web here. Highly recommended, and if you use homemade (salt-free) chicken stock, the leftovers make great baby food!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails