Thursday 6 September 2007

Another Favourite...

Here's a great quick dinner. I always have bits of smoked fish stashed in the freezer, usually coley because it's nice and cheap, and great to go in things like fishcakes and fish pie. This chowder only contains 'storecupboard' sorts of things and takes hardly any time to make. All you need then is some good tasty bread to put on the table, next to the pan of soup, and you've got a meal. I know people bang on about using undyed smoked fish, but I just can't manage to get worked up about it when there are so many worse things to worry about. Besides which, I actually think the yellow colour looks quite pretty in this dish.

Smoked Fish Chowder

1 large onion, sliced
3 large potatoes, peeled and diced
1 litre milk
340g can sweetcorn, drained
300g smoked fish
fresh chives, finely chopped

Put the sliced onion, potatoes and milk into a large pan. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in the sweetcorn and plenty of black pepper, then add the fish. Simmer for a further 5 minutes, then add the chives and stir well to break up the pieces of fish. Serve with some bread to soak up the juice and wipe the bowl clean. This is not an elegant supper.

If you have any leftovers, they will keep in the fridge for a day or so. I managed to keep some to have for my lunch tomorrow, which I am looking forward to already. As a side not, I should point out that the chowder will freeze really well for up to a month, provided that you use fish that hasn't already been frozen.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails