Wednesday 26 September 2007

Not Quite a Lady

Most of our weekday lunches are fairly ordinary; the usual suspects like sandwiches, baked potatoes, Welsh rabbit or soup and bread, with fruit or yoghurt to follow. All very simple, enjoyable and popular with the children.

However, as Hubby is off work at the moment I wanted to make something a little bit special for myself. We had some leftover meat from yesterday's duck in the fridge, so I used a little of it in a salad. The idea for a mango chutney dressing came from a different kind of duck salad in The Silver Palate Cookbook, by Julee Rosso and Sheila Lukins. I must point out that my dressing varies enormously from theirs, but it was one of those ideas that just immediately grabbed me. I do love mango chutney, after all. As we don't often have duck, I've actually made this most often to go with cold cooked chicken, but I do think that it's better with duck, something about the sweet sharpness of the dressing against the richly flavoured meat. As we had some gorgeous Russet apples in the fruit and veg box this week, it would have seemed rude not to include one here.


Duck & Apple Salad with Mango Chutney Dressing

For the dressing:
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp lemon juice
2 tsp mango chutney
salt & pepper
Whisk the oil, lemon juice together to emulsify, then whisk in the mango chutney. Season to taste; I like it quite sharp, but with a sweet edge.
watercress
cold cooked duck meat
apple
flaked almonds, toasted until brown

Cover a plate with watercress, and lay the shredded duck on top. Slice the apple and tuck in the pieces here and there. Drizzle the dressing over the salad and scatter with toasted almonds.

Very ladies-who-lunch, isn't it? I should probably have gone to the beauty salon or out shopping or something afterwards, but instead I walked up to the postbox to post thank-you cards for Christopher's birthday presents while Karl looked after the boys. I scrambled about in a hedge to have a look at some rosehips, which I fancy turning into syrup sometime soon, and picked a handful of blackberries on the way back. I was very popular with Chris when I got home, for some reason...

Dinner tonight was one of my good old faithful savoury crumbles, this time with Chicken, Leek and Bacon.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails