Friday 14 March 2008

Easter Comes Early

I was sent this beautiful "Your Eggsellency" Easter Egg from Hotel Chocolat to see what I thought. My first thought was "how can I keep this all to myself?", swiftly followed by "how on earth am I going to eat all that?". You see, when they say 'Extra Thick Easter Eggs', by golly do they mean it! The chocolate was so thick in places that I could hardly break a piece off, and the taste was beyond compare; no high street chcolate egg I've had in the past even comes close. The dark chocolate half, in particular, was a revelation; smooth and sliughtly smoky, but not at all bitter. The children each had a piece of milk and dark chocolate to try (without knowing it was from an Easter egg - I wasn't going down that road) and both enjoyed it as children do...

For the smaller (I'm reluctant to use the word 'mini', as they were close in size to a creme egg) truffle eggs inside the larger chocolate shell, I enlisted the (willing) help of my beloved Hubby. I felt that if I was going to eat an Easter egg bfore Easter (shock horror!), then I should at least try to spread the sin around a bit! They were, in the main, wonderful. A particular favourites of mine was the Bellini egg, while we both agreed that the Pink Marc de Champagne and Amaretto eggs stood out from the others.Unfortunately, both of us found the Rum egg to be rather strong for our tastes; the only slight letdown in the whole (delicious) package.


On balance, this would make a wonderful Easter gift for somebody special. They are expensive, at twenty pounds apiece, and definitely not for children, but if you have a hankering to stand out from the Easter crowd, this is definitely the way to do it, plus there is a range of smaller gifts on the website for those with tighter budgets. As an added bonus for the disorganised, Hotel Chocolat will take orders for Easter right up until 4pm on Maundy Thursday if you use their Gold delivery service.

2 comments:

Jules said...

Glad I'm not the only one who felt wrong eating an Easter Egg before Easter sunday! I love the pink champagne truffle.

Namito said...

Oh my. The dark chocolate egg looks divine.

And how delighted was I when I discovered they have a warehouse in Boston?

I really enjoyed reading your recipes. I have a 3 year old to cook for, and new ideas are invaluable. I'm going to have to try the carrot ribbons with something soon. Now if I could only get her to eat chicken...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails