Tuesday 27 March 2007

First picnic of the year (hooray!)

It has been a beautiful sunny day here today. Hubby suggested mid-morning, rather on the spur of the moment, that we might go for a picnic. I love picnics! So, I made some sandwiches, chopped up some salad veg and hard-boiled some eggs (essential). I also wrapped the remaining chunk of the Cherry and Almond cake from the other day, then stuck the whole lot in our (rather fabulous) picnic hamper, along with fruit and some drinks.



We drove over to Strata Florida Abbey, on the other side of Pontrhydfendigaid, then found a nice spot and sat down to eat. Christopher had a good run around and climbed on some big rocks (with just a little help from Daddy). James enjoyed the sun and attempted to steal a piece of cheese from his Dad's plate. He's showing a lot of interest in our food now, so it'll probably be time to start weaning fairly soon.

When we got home, the boys all went out to play in the garden and I went into a frenzy of soup-making. I cooked some Split Pea & Ham Soup, for our supper tonight, with a little left over for my lunch tomorrow, and a big batch of Leek & Potato Soup. I boxed that up and put it in the freezer. Homemade soup is one of my most favourite meals and our freezer is usually full of different types of soup. It makes an ideal lunch when we have visitors as it just needs to be reheated, with some bread and possibly a little cheese to accompany it. We have family visiting over the Easter weekend and I like to get as much cooking as possible done in advance when we have guests. I shall get some other bits done over the course of the next few days, I hope.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails