Tuesday 29 January 2008

Red, Red Beans

Today started out beautiful and then the weather got progressively worse. Grrr! No matter, as there wer plenty of indoor things to keep us busy. Karl is still on annual leave, so he looked after James this afternoon while I took Chris to school, then trekked around town between the butcher's, the greengrocer's and the haberdashery, where I bought a length of fabric to make a summer dress (here's hoping). It's red, with a simple white floral print. I first saw it a couple of weeks ago and have been pondering whether I should buy some ever since.

The in-laws are coming tomorrow, having phoned the other day to invite themselves down for a last-minute visit. I'm looking forward to it; I find myself in the enviable position of having parents-in-law who I get on with very well. When I went to the butcher earlier, I got some lamb chump chops for tomorrow's dinner. Karl had earlier intimated that he'd like lamb for supper when they were here and I've got a nice way of doing lamb with garlic and rosemary; unfussy but delicious, so I shall do that (giving myself another good excuse to hack bits off the rosemary bush in the garden, which is reaching Triffid-like proportions).

Tonight's dinner was one of those dishes that I can adapt to whatever I've got (within reason, of course). Different meat, poultry (or no meat at all), different pulses, whatever. Give it a whirl!

Pork with Red Beans and Rice

1 onion, diced
700g pork, cut into strips
500g brown rice
400g can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 litre chicken stock
big handful spinach leaves

Heat some olive oil in a large pan (which has a lid) and soften the onion. Add the pork and brown it a little, then tip in the rice. Stir to coat the grains with the oil and meat juices. Add the beans, then pour in the stock. Cover the pan and bring to the boil. Simmer for about 20 minutes, until the rice is cooked through and the liquid absorbed. Add the spinach and leave the covered pan, off the heat, for a few minutes until the leaves have wilted. Give everything a good stir and serve.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails