Monday 28 January 2008

Turkey Lurkey

Today I finally cooked some some turkey steaks that were lurking rather mournfully in the freezer. I bought them because they looked lovely; but having any idea what I was going to do with them, I froze them. Fatal mistake; they've been sitting there, mocking me every time I open the drawer, for too long. Combined with some bits and bobs from the vegetable box and a large side of basmati rice (as always, courtesy of the rice machine) though, we had a very nice meal. I won't pretend that this is any kind of stir-fry; for one thing, I did it in an ordinary frying pan on an ordinary hob ring, for another, I only stirred it quite lazily.

The addition of the fresh mint was really quite inspired (she write, modestly). The parsley on the kitchen windowsill was, shall we say, parst it so I used some mint instead. Mint is fast becoming my favourite culinary herb - it's fabulous with tomatoes (for us, it easily trumps basil) and now replaces parsley too. As mint grows like a weed in our garden come summer, I will definitely be trying this substitution in other dishes.

Turkey & Veg Box Fry

garlic-infused olive oil
2 large turkey escalopes
2 thin leeks, halved and shredded
1 red pepper, deseeded and sliced
handful spinach leaves
fresh mint, finely chopped
about 2 tbsp lemon juice

Heat the oil in a large frying pan (or a wok, if you have such a thing). Cook the leeks briefly, then fry the turkey and add the peppers. Pour in the lemon juice and mix well. When everything is almost cooked to your liking, stir in the mint, then toss in the spinach and briefly cover the pan to let it wilt. Serve with rice.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails